Sfingi are little Italian doughnuts similar to zeppole. We always have them around the holidays, either Christmas or New Year's eve. They are great with powdered sugar, or with different sweet dips like honey, jam or chocolate sauce.
Yield 4 dozen
|2 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|6 oz||Cooking oil|
- Beat eggs, sugar & ricotta in a mixing bowl.
- Add flower and milk a little at a time, while mixing with electric mixer.
- Batter should be semi-stiff, not soupy. If too thin, add a little more flour.
- Heat cooking oil in pot for deep frying, 2 or 3 inches.
- Add batter one Teaspoon at a time. Use two teaspoons; one to portion batter, one to scoop off the first spoon into the oil.
- Allow room between sfingie to float around.
- Sfigie will flip themselves over in the oil, which is fun to watch!
- Fry until deep brown.
- Cover with powdered sugar and serve.
Easy Chocolate Sauce
|2 tsp||Olive oil|
Chocolate Sauce Directions
- Mix well
- Microwave for 1 minute in a covered bowl
Easy Raspberry Sauce
|1 pint||Fresh raspberries|
|1 tsp||Corn starch|
Raspberry Sauce Directions
- Combine the raspberries and water in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
- Heat the mixture over medium flame and bring to a low simmer.
- Gradually add the sugar until blended.
- Gradually add the corn starch until blended.
- Reduce the mixture until it thickens, 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer again, to remove any remaining seeds or clumps of corn starch.